TO ALL BSOM MEMBERS
A HAPPY, HEALTHY, PEACEFUL AND SUCCESSFUL 2014
- BSOM Council will meet 27th Janury 2014.
UK OM Staffing
This is a DRAFT of current OM staffing; please check and let me know by January 13th of any infelicities or omissions.
|Consultants||TPD||Trainees (year)||Funding||Other staff|
|Birmingham||J Hamburger (hon)A Richardson
|Ana Poveda-Gallego (3)Jon Higham (1)
Rui Albuquerque (1)
|Bristol||K Staines||Rachel CowieHelen Underhill||NHSNHS||S Ellison|
|Cardiff||P AtkinM Lewis||Helen Rogers||Walport|
|Dublin||S FlintC Healy||Sheila Galvin|
|Dundee||C MarneyE Theaker||–|
|Glasgow||F CrawfordA Crighton
|Leeds||A ighellA Mighell
|Zahra Syed||NHS||Maura Cobine-Davies|
|Liverpool||E Field (hon)D Holt
B. P. Rajlawat
|London Guys||R Cook M EscudierS Challacombe (hon)
|Esther HullahDaniela Ion||NHSNHS||H McParlandC Pankhurst
|London Kings||T PoateS Warnakulasuriya
|C PankhurstK Husband|
|London QMUL||J BuchananS Chaudhury
|Sarah Viggor (3)Amanda Willis (3)
|London UCH||S FedeleT Hodgson
|Sabine Jurge (3)Martina Shephard (2)||ACFNHS||P ThakrarC vanda|
|Manchester||R AllanM Pemberton
|Sheffield||A HegartyVacant||Jodie Montgomery – CrannyKevin Ryan||NHSNHS||C Freeman|
Web progress; there has been some more progress and Alex Crighton and Alan Mighell have promised Council it by December 31. It should go public late January.
- Commissioning; message from CDO (England) December 19th “Not getting left behind as the work has been slower getting started than we envisaged.”
- Constitution; Phil Atkin has produced a draft new document which will go to Council and members for opinions
- Workforce planning; Michael Escudier has been co-opted to council for this purpose, and is preparing a paper with Alan Mighell.
- Oral cancer (Mouth cancer action month) document will appear in BDJ in 2014, and in Primary Dentistry
- Single nominations received for the Membership representative, Treasurer and President. Nominations will be again considered at Council in 2014.
Collaborations with other societies; continues under discussion
QA; a major item at the 2014 BSOM meeting in May
- Other items
- BSOM 2013 meetings
- BSOM Trainees winter meeting 2013 Saturday 14th December at QMUL, London. Programme – Allergies and Angioedema (Sarah Viggor) was a great success; there was good attendance (>50 signed in) and although there were 10 “no-shows” about 8 unexpected delegates made up for this. The programme was:
Angioedema : A Clinical Update
Dr Matthew Buckland, Consultant and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Clinical Immunology, Royal London Hospital
Hereditary Angioedema – My Story and Patient Perspective
Ann Price, HAE UK Patient representative
Oral Allergy Syndrome
Dr Stefan Lozewicz, Consultant Respiratory and Allergy Physician, London Chest Hospital
Undergraduate Oral Presentations
Aisha Ahsan, University of Manchester
Arif Razzak University of Birmingham
Mohammad Rahman QMUL, London
Shreena Raja University of Birmingham
April Fineberg QMUL, London
Juniors’ Oral Presentations
Heather Mullin Charles Clifford Dental Hospital, Sheffield
Mani Sanghera Barts Health Trust, London
Erni Marlina Hasanuddin University
Catherine Lawson Southend University Hospital, Essex
Singithi Liyanage Glasgow Dental Hospital
Prizes were awarded to;
- Aisha AHSAN (UG) and to
- Heather MULLIN (Juniors)
Congratulations to all who presented and to the organisers.
BSOM 2014 meetings;
- BSOM StR forum 2014 Friday May 9 at UCLH London.
- BSOM Annual Meeting will be 2014 London, Saturday May 10 with AGM. Committees, sponsors and registrations are progressing well. Early bird registrations close 2013 Dec 31.
- Over 80 delegates from 15 countries have already registered so please register soon to avoid disappointment.
- The registration is available via
The congress will be opened by Baroness Gardner of Parkes.